Maharaja



It was 2a.m. in the morning on June 21, 2024. The wife and child had gone to sleep, and it was decision time for me. "Should I go to sleep, or should I watch something?", was the question on my mind. I seldom get a 2 hour window where I can watch a movie uninterrupted at home, and I decided to go for it.

As I opened Netflix, I saw that the top movie on the platform was Maharaja. For the previous couple of days before, I saw the enormous amounts of praise this movie was getting online. It also got recommended by a friend who was a movie maker, and her opinions on movies is something I admire a lot. This was the movie I was going to watch.

The movie begins with a tragedy that no family should go through. There however is a a ray of hope that makes the viewer root for the protagonist and his child. What happens next seem to be a series of unrelated events that leave the viewer confused with the direction the movie is taking. This confusion is further compounded by the non-linear story telling. The slow burn of the movie begins to take shape through gory and disturbing scenes of the antagonists, who are portrayed as despicable people with twisted minds. The development of all the main characters is done well in short scenes that gives an insight into their personalities.

The showdown that takes place at the climax, which lasts for about 20 minutes, is one which I wish I can forget every time and watch afresh.

Maharaja, in my opinion, is the best movie to be released this year. I will keep an eye out for more of Vijay Setupathi's movies, and moreover, I will start to keep an eye out for the work that Nithilan Saminathan will do going forward.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost movie review

Godfather (2022 movie) review

Tiger Nageswara Rao